Your nutrition is important in preventing the recurrence of your oxalate urinary stones.
General guidelines to follow:
- 1. Increase your fluid intake to at least 2.5 litres of water (approximately 10 cups per day). This could include water, juices, soft drink, cordial, coffee and weak tea (limit tea and coffee to less than 4 cups per day).
- 2. Eat more fruit and vegetables (except those below).
- 3. Eat less animal protein.
Eat smaller serve of meat, chicken and fish.
Eat dairy products and eggs in moderation.
Eat less salt. Look for low salt and salt reduced products when shopping.
Use herbs and spices and other flavourings instead of salt in cooking and at the table.
Eat more fresh and unprocessed foods.
- 4. Avoid the following high OXALATE foods;
- Spinach, silverbeet, beetroot
- Rhubarb, berries, e.g. strawberries
- Cocoa, chocolate, chocolate flavoured foods
- Nuts (including peanuts)
- Tea, as per above.
- 5. Avoid Vitamin C supplements