You may experience discomfort for a few days after the procedure but painkillers will be given to you to take home.
Absorbable stitches are normally used which do not require removal.
The dressing on the wound may be washed off in the shower 24-48 hours after the operation.
Vaseline should be applied to the tip of the penis and around the stitch line to prevent the penis from adhering to your underclothes and it is advisable to wear light clothing for 2-3 days. Passing urine will be painless and will not be affected by the operation.
The average hospital stay is less than 1 day.
Most procedures have a potential for side-effects and these are outlined below.
Common (greater than 1 in 10)
- Swelling of the penis lasting several days
Occasional (between 1 in 10 & 1 in 50)
- Bleeding of the wound occasionally needing a further procedure
- Infection of the incision requiring further treatment and/or casualty
- Permanent altered or reduced sensation in the head of the penis
- Persistence of the absorbable stitches after 3-4 weeks, requiring
Rare (less than 1 in 50)
- Scar tenderness
- Failure to be completely satisfied with the cosmetic result
- Occasional need for removal of excessive skin at a later date.
- Permission for biopsy of abnormal area on the head of the penis if
malignancy is a concern
- Altered sensation during sexual activity
- Shortening of the erections or curvature of the penis
It will be at least 10 days before healing occurs and you may return to work when you are comfortable enough and your GP is satisfied with your progress. Most people require at least a week off work.
You should refrain from sexual intercourse for a minimum of 4 weeks.
If you develop a temperature, increased redness, throbbing or drainage at the site of the operation, please contact Dr Rasiah’s Rooms on 9439 8867 or your GP.